If you’re sitting down with a stack of photos after a home staging consultation, struggling over the report you’re preparing for the homeowners you are really wasting your time.
- You just love doing paperwork
- You enjoy knowing you have a lengthy report to complete before moving on to the next client
- You’re getting paid extra to write it
In my opinion, this practice is a pure waste of time…valuable time you should be using for home staging marketing so you’ll get more paying clients! Preparing home staging consultation reports is one of the many contributing factors to new home stagers going out of business.
Staging Diva Students learn in Course 3 “Taking the Mystery Out of Home Staging Consultations” to not do home staging reports unless all of the above conditions are true. Most often they aren’t. Unfortunately, other home staging training companies (and a certain “Dummies” guide) have perpetuated this notion that home staging consultation reports are necessary.
By now, you’re probably thinking, “But everyone else does them!” Actually NOT everyone does.
I’ve staged homes for clients since 2002 and there are thousands of Staging Diva Graduates out there who have been following my advice for many years and they don’t prepare reports either.
- It’s often hours of extra work you’re not getting paid for
- If you’re services are priced properly, you’re losing hundreds of dollars with each report you write
- The client may never actually look at it
- You’re giving yourself something else to fret over
- Clients don’t want to read a great big report. They just want their house staged so it will sell faster for more money.
Home stagers, can you give me any reasons why preparing lengthy consultation reports is actually a good idea? Or if you used to do them and gave them up, tell us how you came to that decision. If you still do them, do you love it or have you found it an obligation that always feels like it’s hanging over your head?
Please comment with your own opinion and let’s discuss!
Debra Gould, The Staging Diva®
President, Six Elements Home Staging
Debra Gould knows how to make money as a home stager and she developed the Staging Diva Home Staging Business Training Program to teach others how to earn a living doing something they love.