Listening to a talk by author Neil Pasricha yesterday, I started thinking about all the things I love about being a home stager. The moments that make me say “Wow!”
I’ve included 10 of my own “WOW Moments as a Home Stager” here, and I hope my fellow home stagers will add to this list:
- Finding the right duvet cover that pulls all of the rest of the home’s accent colors together.
- Walking into my client’s home after the painter has finished removing the old wallpaper, covering the ugly wood paneling, and painting all the colors I chose for the house.
- Trying not to giggle while walking into a tiny condo bathroom to talk about how it needs to be staged because the camera man and lighting guy from HGTV are huddled together in the bathtub.
- Having my client (who was totally stressed out and feeling defeated when I arrived) hug me at the end of the home staging consultation and say she’s looking forward to selling her home.
- Re-rolling that final bath towel for the stack of 3 beside the jacuzzi and having it finally look like it does in the magazines.
- Getting a call from a reporter from CNN who wants to set up an interview about why home staging works in a slow real estate market on the very same afternoon that I’ve already spoken to The Wall Street Journal! It really did happen and I felt like I must have fallen into “The Twilight Zone”!
- Savoring those 10 minutes after the furniture delivery truck is gone and I’ve finished making the beds and placing all the accessories and I’m walking through the house taking in the “model home” I’ve created simply from my own creativity and hard work.
- Answering a call from a past client who tells me she feels like she “won the lottery” because she got so much for her home she’s debt free for the first time in her life.
- Spending 5 hours with a couple rearranging their home at our first appointment and realizing the house is totally ready to sell.
- Getting paid right away for my services and not having to chase my money.
Please add your “Wow Moments as a Home Stager” by commenting here so that we can all remember how many incredible gifts this career brings to our own lives, as well as those of our clients. If we can get a good size list going, I’ll collect the best and put them into a free report to share with my readers, naturally you’ll get a copy too!
Debra Gould, The Staging Diva®
President, Six Elements Inc. Home Staging
Debra Gould staged hundreds of homes before creating the Staging Diva Home Staging Business Training Program to teach others how to earn a living doing something they love. She has written 5 guides and appears on HGTV and in numerous magazines and newspapers.