In this video she goes on to say that home staging can increase the selling price of a home by 10% to 20%.
Watch her discusses curb appeal and then walk through the key rooms providing her top home staging tips.
If you’re a home stager, keep these in mind when making recommendations to your own home staging clients.
These are typical of the types of things you’ll point out during a home staging consultation.
Barb Corcoran Home Staging Tips
- Light sells houses, so cut back bushes that are keeping the light from streaming in the windows.
- A cheap door says “cheap house,” so change it when appropriate to the value of the home.
- Home buyers make a judgement within 8 seconds of walking through the front door, so first impressions are key to selling a house on the real estate market.
- Buyers won’t mentally move into the house if they can’t see past your stuff.
- The kitchen is the most important room. You don’t need to spend a lot of money renovating it to sell. Put a fresh coat of paint on the cabinets and walls and clean off the counters.
- The bathroom is the second most important room when you’re selling a house. It doesn’t matter if it’s a dated bathroom— apply fresh grout, re-glaze the bathtub (if necessary) and remove all the clutter.
- Clean rooms always look bigger. If necessary pay your teens to keep their bedrooms clean while the house is on the real estate market.
- Tidy the linen closet. It’s on of the things buyers will use to judge what they can’t see in your home. If it’s a disaster they’ll assume you haven’t cared for the home. Stuff they can’t see and can cause worry are things like the roof, plumbing, electrical and the foundation.
- Every house has an odor. So stop smoking, eliminate pets, use potpourri, or boil cinnamon before a showing.
What do you think of these Barb Corcoran home staging tips? Is there anything you’d add to this list? Please share your ideas in the comment section.
Credit Original image: Entrepreneur Magazine. Barbara Corcoran’s quote is from this video, which I then added to her image.